The Expanding Linguistic Science by Broadening Native American Participation (N4L) satellite workshop was held in conjunction with the 92nd Annual Meeting of the Linguistic Society of America (LSA) in Salt Lake City Utah.
N4L participants met on Thursday 1/4/18 for this all day workshop that focused on sharing definitions of “language” by participants, mini presentations by participants related to workshop themes, and the following breakout sessions:
- Designing, implementing, and improving university programs
- Teaching linguistics in programs and university settings
- Facilitating community-academic relationships
The N4L symposium, Sharing our views: Native Americans speak about language and linguistics, took place on Saturday 1/6/18. This was the first all-Indigenous symposium to take place at the LSA.
At the awards ceremony Saturday night, the Cliff Eagle Drum Group blessed us with a powerful honoring song, another LSA first.
Participants and other stakeholders also met for a debriefing meeting on Sunday 1/7/18 before departing Salt Lake City.
N4L project staff and some participants will attend the 93rd LSA Annual Meeting in New York City January 3rd-6th, 2019. Look for us at the following events:
- International Year of Indigenous Languages Kick Off Event Thursday 1/3/19
- Natives4Linguistics 2018: Sharing our Findings Friday 1/4/2019
- Natives4Linguistics Special Interest Group Inaugural Meeting Saturday 1/5/2019
- 9:30-11:00 am in Park 1